USB full form is Universal Serial Bus. It is an industry standard that establishes specifications for cables, connectors and protocols for connection, communication and power supply between the computers and the peripheral devices which work as plug and play objects. It was designed for standardization of connections of peripherals like keyboards, pointing devices, digital and video cameras, printers, portable media players, disk drives and network adapters to personal computers, both to communicate and to supply electric power. It has largely replaced interfaces like serial and parallel ports and has become commonplace on a wide range of devices. USB connectors are continuously replacing other types of connectors for battery chargers of portable devices.
USB is widely used for data transfer from one device to another device as well. USB full form ports are available on many devices nowadays such as Computers, Laptops etc. Even televisions have USB ports to watch recorded videos or saved content. There are different versions of USB full form cable and devices available the version 1.x, 2.0,3.0 and 3.1. The newest version of the USB is 3.1 which provides the fastest data transfer speed. It is capable of data transfer rate at 10 Gbps. Each and every version of USB port is compatible with previous as well as the next version, meaning that it can support any version below or above its current number. However, devices with lower versions will run at their normal transfer speeds even though USB 3.0 is capable of higher speed. Similarly, if a 3. 1 USB device is connected into a USB 2.0 port, the 3.1 device’s maximum transfer rate will be capped to that of the USB 2.0 port. It is feasible to use the same version of port and USB. Otherwise, it is useless to use a newer version of USB if you have the port of previous version.
Advantages of USB:
1. The USB is an easy to use device.
2. USBs are cheap.
3. It provides many types of connector and size available.
4. Its power consumption is too low.
5. It can connect up to 127 Universal Serial Bus (USB) components at the same time to one PC.
6. It can fit all of the devices which have a Universal Serial Bus (USB) port.
7. It is capable of working in the absence of internet as well.
8. It is portable due to its small size.
9. They do not need any charging or extra accessories for use so they can be taken anywhere and can be used without any accessories.
10. USB cables and devices are easily available in markets.
Disadvantages of USB:
1. Its storage capacity is not too much.
2. The data transfer rate is not as fast as some other systems.
3. The length of USB cable is hurdle in connecting peripheral devices placed on some distance.
4. When a USB device (data traveler) is used on multiple devices it starts creating shortcuts and viruses.
5. Due to the small size they are easily misplaced, left behind or lost.